Thursday, January 3, 2008

So Close

Last night I took 5th in the Wednesday Night 150k on Pokerstars. 1st was 51k so coming away with anything but a win in such a big tournament is very frustrating. The structure was very good... 20 minute levels with 150 bb starting stacks. In the money the average stack was always around 35 bb's so compared to most online tournaments there was a lot of play.

My final two hands were as followed:

(5 handed)
Folds around to SB who completes. I raise to 4x in the BB with 77. SB shoves for 18bb's total. I snap call getting like 1.75:1 and he shows JJ.

The SB was DrCaligula and we actually have some history. He is an online tournament pro but we have played a bit of 5-10 nl over the last few years against each other. My read has always been that he is a tricky lag that spews a lot... typical of most tournament players in cash games though. As for recent history he limp folded the SB to me 3-4 orbits before.

Before that hand I was 2nd in chips but I was left with 10bb's.

(5 handed)
Folds around to me in the SB and I shove for 10x with QJdd. BB calls with Ax and holds.

I was very happy with my play throughout the tournament. The only hand that I can really second guess was the 77 v. JJ hand at the final table but I felt like I was ahead of his range so I don't mind the call. When we were at the two final tables I was dominating my table and running up my stack without seeing many showdowns. Then with 14 people left i got switched to the much tougher of the two tables (major beat IMO). I had to play fairly abc and just coasted into the final table where I was 4/9. At the final table I was sandwiched between the two other pros at the table which kinda sucked as it definitely changed the table dynamics and was forced to play a style I didn't want. Seeing as I play maybe one of these tournaments a week... It is always nice to pad my cash game profits with a little score like this.

No comments: